(13 September 2017): LDC Watch, the umbrella group representing NGOs from Least Developed Countries, is holding a working session on ‘An Inclusive Global Trade System In The Face of Changing Trade Landscape’ at the WTO Public Forum. It is Working Session 6, on Tuesday, 26 September, 11.30-13.00 in Room D, at the WTO Building, Geneva. The general theme of the Public Forum 17, (26-28 September) is ‘Trade Behind the Headlines’ on making trade work for more people and ensure that the trading system is as inclusive as possible.
This is obviously a major topic for Least Developed Countries, which are relying on trade to help them increase their GNI and move out of the LDC category. The session aims to establish a stronger partnership between LDCs and all stakeholders including civil society, in order to achieve the targets for a fair trade system for LDCs, and putting more emphasis on how civil society initiatives can strengthen regional and South-South trade.
The following people will speak at LDC Watch session.
- Gauri Pradhan, International Coordinator, LDC Watch, a former Human Rights Commissioner in Nepal.
- Bernard Founou-Tchuigoua, Director of the Research Department of Third World Forum, Senegal. He is an economist, and author.
- Demba Moussa Dembele, LDC President, and President, Africaine de Recherche et de Cooperation pour lâ€™Appui au Development Endogene (arcade).
- Ratnakar Adhikari, Executive Director, Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF). He has previously worked for UNDP, and the Asia Pacific Regional Centre.
- Moderator: Daphne Davies, Managing Editor, LDC News Service. She is a freelance journalist and development consultant.
Time and Date: Tuesday, 26 September, 11.30-13.00,
Place: Room D, at the WTO Building, Centre William Rappard, Rue de Lausanne, 154, 1211 Geneva 2 .
For more information about the Public Forum: https://www.wto.org/english/forums_e/public_forum17_e/public_forum17_e.htm